Upper School Global Education
Our exceptional global education program offers our students travel and cultural learning opportunities that prepare them to meet the world on many levels.
Global Education Focus
Harker’s global education program focuses on four main branches:
- Awareness: Learning about ourselves and our culture as well as people and cultures from around the world.
- Collaboration: Working together with other students to discuss issues, make decisions and solve problems.
- Experiential learning: Cultivating an international perspective by engaging in cross-cultural activities through visits by exchange students and teachers.
- Action (social justice outreach): Volunteering time and raising funds for nonprofit organizations and good causes.
Global Learning Opportunities at Harker’s Upper School
We collaborate with our sister schools around the world to offer global learning opportunities and exchanges to countries like Switzerland, India, Australia and Japan.
Through ongoing projects here at Harker and yearly trips around the world, our students develop into global citizens. Global learning opportunities include:
- International travel and student exchanges: Trips to the Galapagos, Switzerland, India, Australia and Japan where students explore local cultures and environments while completing a school project.
- Global Online Academy: Harker students gain access to intellectually rigorous programs offered at sister schools across the country and world.
- English Language Institute: Each summer, we offer special programs for international students who want to improve their English speaking and writing abilities. The institute helps them prepare to attend an American boarding school or an international school.
- Teacher exchanges: Harker sends teachers from all divisions to sister schools across the world, where they learn valuable lessons to bring back to their classrooms. In return, we benefit from international teachers coming to Harker.
Our yearlong biology project sparked my interest in the field of genetics, and I was so interested in the course that I decided to go to the Galapagos Islands as part of Harker’s biology trip. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.Rachael Warecki '04
Global Online Academy
Harker is proud of its membership in the Global Online Academy (GOA), which we joined in 2012. The mission of the Global Online Academy is to reimagine learning to empower students and educators to thrive in a globally networked society.
As a member, Harker gives its students a nontraditional way to enrich their academics, pursue their passions and experience the varied perspectives of their international GOA classmates. Students learn how to collaborate with peers in other states and countries, and to manage their time effectively outside of a traditional learning environment.
Courses are taught by teachers at member schools. Teachers must complete a rigorous training program before teaching a GOA course; teachers and courses alike are regularly evaluated to ensure continuing adherence to standards of quality.
Currently, one-third of college students enroll in an online course during their college careers. By taking courses through the GOA, Harker students can familiarize themselves with this growing method of learning and prepare themselves for college and beyond. Learn More
Clubs, Events & Activities
Global learning extends to extracurricular activities, where students enhance their understanding of global issues and cultures. Our clubs, events, programs and activities with a global focus include:
- Chinese Club
- GEO (Global Empowerment and Outreach)
- Japanese Club
- Model United Nations
- Annual multicultural talent show