How to Plan Your Giving
125th Gift Initiative GivingDuring the 125th Anniversary Gift Initiative, there are two main approaches to giving to Harker:
- Make a 125th Anniversary gift by making a multi-year pledge to the Annual Fund, Capital Fund and/or the Endowment Fund, rather than deciding upon your gift year by year. Your gift will be recognized at the total amount of your multi-year pledge each year throughout the 125th Anniversary Gift Initiative period, and you may reserve a permanent naming opportunity.
- Decide on your gift to the annual fund year by year. Your gift will be recognized in the year that the gift is made at the amount given that year. For either approach:
- We first ask you to consider continuing the long-standing tradition of supporting the annual fund, which supports ongoing programmatic excellence and our safe, nurturing and inspiring environment.
- Then, in addition to supporting the annual fund, we ask current families to also consider making a gift to the capital fund (see Capital Fund Matching Gift Challenge), and alumni and alumni families to consider making a gift to their Class Endowment Fund, for which they can designate their gift to the general endowment, the Alumni Scholarship Endowment, or any of the restricted endowments.
How to Make Your Gift
- Gifts via Cash, Check, or Credit Card
- To make your gift or pledge online via credit card: Click here
- Gifts of Securities – One of the best ways to make a gift to Harker is to donate appreciated securities. A gift of stock held more than one year entitles the donor to a charitable deduction for its full current market value, in most cases without paying the capital gains tax on the appreciation, which would be required if the securities were sold for personal gain. Transfer of Securities Form (pdf)
- Wire Transfer – Gifts may also be made by directly transferring funds to our bank. Wire Transfer Information (pdf)
- Gifts of Tangible Personal Property (In-Kind Gifts) – Donate a tangible asset that can be used by The Harker School in our student programs and you can also receive a charitable deduction equal to the asset's fair market value. In-Kind Gift form (pdf)
- Automatic Clearing House (ACH)
- Bequest – You may choose to include Harker in your estate planning with a bequest. Learn more about planned giving.
- Corporate Matching Funds - Multiply the impact of your gift by leveraging your company's matching funds programs (see below for details).
There are many different ways to make a gift to the school, and all gifts make a positive impact on our students and teachers. Our Guide to Philanthropy (embedded below) provides information about the many giving opportunities at Harker. The following are options you may wish to consider when making your gift. Check to see if your corporation has a matching gift program.
Memorial or Honorary Gifts
Pay special tribute to a family member, friend, colleague or group with a memorial or honorary gift. Be sure to include this special information on your pledge form or when you make your gift online.
Make Your Gift Multiply with Corporate Matching Gifts
Double, triple or even quadruple a gift made to The Harker School if you are affiliated with a company that has a matching gift program. First, contact your employer's human resources department to see if you are eligible for a matching gift. Next, complete the forms provided by your employer, send it with your donation and Harker will submit the necessary paperwork. Check to see if your corporation has a matching gift program.
Each year The Harker School puts on two schoolwide events as fundraising and friendraising activities. These events are organized by more than 100 dedicated parent volunteers, staffed by many more, and bring together our school community to have fun while supporting our wonderful students.
The Family & Alumni Picnic is a decades-old tradition in which the entire Harker community gathers together each fall to celebrate the beginning of the new school year and enjoy a day of fabulous family fun. More than a "picnic," the day includes games and prizes galore, great food, fantastic student entertainment, the ever popular silent auction, fun-filled themed activities, and more.
Our February gala is more than just a show; it is a Night on the Town! This is a fun night out for parents and their guests to enjoy dinner and dancing, socializing with friends and casino games. Attendees can bid on fabulous prizes at our silent and live auctions and enjoy student performers, as well.
Proceeds from our event fundraisers go toward Harker’s general endowment. The general endowment is composed of unrestricted funds and enhances the school’s ability to sustain itself, evolve and grow, hire and retain outstanding faculty and staff, and attract and nurture gifted students. The principal is held in perpetuity, and only the income generated is used for operating support.
We also have three restricted endowments you may help support: The John Near Endowment for the study of U.S. history; the Mitra Family Endowment for the study of the humanities; and the Vegesna Grant, for faculty professional development.
Learn more about planned giving.
Nonprofit Status Information
The Harker School is a 501(c)(3) corporation, tax ID number 94-1613808.
Download our 501(c)(3) letter of determination (pdf)