Seafood and Root Vegetable Chowder
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small leek, sliced ¼" thick
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium carrots, sliced ¼" thick
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 small celery root, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cups fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless cod fillet, cut into 2" pieces
- ⅓ cup dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Crusty bread or bread bowl, for serving
- Heat butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, celery, onions, peppers, and leeks, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until soft, 8–10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour to form a roux – a thickener made from fat (butter in our case) and flour
- Add carrots, parsnips, celeriac, potatoes, stock, milk, cream, and Worcestershire; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add cod, and continue to cook, stirring gently, until fish is cooked through, 6–8 minutes.
- Stir in dill, parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Serve with bread or in bread bowl.
Recipe made by Harker Kitchen Staff