To apply for the Harker English Language Institute program, please complete and submit the online application or paper application (pdf), along with the required forms listed below. See important notes below.
Register Online Paper Application (PDF)
*At the intermediate and advanced levels, a student letter is a requirement for admission purposes. This letter serves as a personal introduction to the student. It should also indicate academic intent and demonstrate the student’s commitment to learning and to follow our academic and behavioral expectations. Beginner students at both our Elementary and Secondary Programs do not need to write a letter for admissions consideration.
Please answer two of the following questions in your letter.
1. What will you most enjoy about studying in the United States?
2. Describe the main reason that you wish to learn English?
3. Describe yourself. What unique qualities do you have?
4. Explain what inspires you? Your parents, schoolteacher, famous athlete etc?
5. How do you like to spend your spare time?
After we have received your application, we will notify you by email of the next steps.
- Students are accepted based on their academic and behavior records in their current and past schools, not on how well they speak or write English.
- Students are placed in the appropriate class levels according to their assessment and performance. Advanced students are placed based on TOEFL evaluations given upon arrival. Scores may also be submitted by students for advanced placement. Our goal is to have each child in a class that is challenging but not stressful in order to maximize the learning experience.
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis beginning Jan. 14, 2013. Because we limit class size, spaces are limited.
- Form l-20 can be issued for students who are applying for F-1 student visas.
- Students must come highly recommended and have a good behavior report from a current school.
- Students who do not demonstrate good behavior or are not academically appropriate will not be allowed to continue in the program.
- Final confirmation in our program will be sent once ALL documents are received.
Harker Summer Programs is a nonprofit organization. Admission is decided without regard to a child's race, creed, color or place of national origin.
Questions? Contact Us
English Language Institute Office
Phone: 001.408.553.0524; Fax: 001.408.376.0283